Apply Now: Manager, Communications and Stakeholder Relations
January 7, 2022
MANAGER, COMMUNICATIONS AND STAKEHOLDER RELATIONS
As the Genome Prairie Manager of Communications and Stakeholder Relations you are responsible for the synthesis, planning, development, and implementation of Genome Prairie's Communications plan concepts and strategies for the purpose of promoting Genome Prairie and contributing to its strategic positioning with target audiences; and for the development of policies, guidelines, standards and performance metrics to provide support, advice and guidance in the delivery of communications.
As the ideal candidate you will be a dynamic, motivated Communications professional looking to identify, design, and implement effective means of communicating with stakeholders and who can link activities and tactics to organizational objectives. You will thrive in a collaborative and cooperative environment with colleagues while demonstrating knowledge and experience-driven independence in driving projects and be accountable for outcomes. Exceptional attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple projects and priorities concurrently will be essential.
• Develop and implement annual communications plans and strategies that align with and support the organization's strategic plan and corporate priorities. Inform and suggest changes as needed to improve the communications plan for maximum impact.
• Develop, implement and evaluate corporate communication initiatives and projects in digital and social media, media relations, internal and external communications, product development, and advertising for the purpose of supporting specific communication objectives.
• Prepare briefing notes and/or presentations for Board and senior management meetings, for purposes of providing input, advice and reporting on strategies, initiatives and approaches related to the assigned communications activities and initiatives, specifically for generating operational support from governments and other governmental agencies.
• Direct and coordinate publications and editorial services including the organization's annual report, corporate plan, website, writing services and translations.
• As a primary point of contact, manage media relations including, ensuring that Genome Prairie stories receive fair representation and coverage; coordinating news conferences and press releases; and undertaking media monitoring and analyses as needed.
• Direct the updating and maintenance of Genome Prairie's website and social media and coordinate content with the goal of keeping it current and relevant to Genome Prairie's policy stakeholders, scientific community, partners and the general public.
• Establish and maintain dynamic relationships and solid networks with communications counterparts in the Genome Centres, governments of Saskatchewan and Manitoba, and other key stakeholder groups for the purpose of coordination, creation of synergies, and maximizing communication efforts.
• Develop, track and report on metrics as they relate to the impact of Genome Prairie's communications efforts.
• Undertake other duties, as assigned by the President and CEO.
• Possess strong oral and written communication skills (including strong presentation skills);
• Possess strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build effective working relationships across a broad spectrum of stakeholders;
• Possess the ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines;
• Ability to provide critical analysis and recommendations of proposed communications opportunities from a variety of perspectives.
• Post-secondary education in a related field such as Communications, Social Sciences, Marketing, Journalism and/or Public Administration/Relations;
• Three to five years of relevant or direct work experience in developing and implementing communications plans and strategies and generating communication products;
• Well-versed in all forms of organizational communications, including creative design and printing, social media, branding, marketing, public relations;
• Significant familiarity and facility with digital media including video, social media, and web communications;
• Knowledge of the Canadian research and innovation community an asset.
To apply, forward your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applications submitted to the above-mentioned email address will be accepted. We thank all applicants for their interest in the position; however, we will only communicate with the selected candidates.
Application deadline: 5:00 PM (CST) on January 21, 2022
Anticipated start date: As soon as possible
Location: Saskatoon or Winnipeg
This competition is open to eligible Canadians and permanent residents of Canada. Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, women, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement. Applicants who are unable to be vaccinated based on a prohibited ground as defined under the Canadian Human Rights Act, such as medical contraindication, may request accommodation.
Genome Prairie is a non-profit organization that supports stakeholders across Manitoba and Saskatchewan in capturing and maximizing the benefits of advanced research in genomics and related biosciences. This role is achieved by aligning the partners and resources needed to develop and manage targeted projects addressing regional priorities. Genome Prairie also enables participation among regional researchers in Genome Canada's competitive granting process for large-scale projects. Learn more at www.genomeprairie.ca.