Genome Prairie is a non-profit organization that supports stakeholders across Manitoba and Saskatchewan in capturing and maximizing the benefits of advanced research in genomics and related biosciences. This role is achieved by aligning the partners and resources needed to develop and manage targeted projects addressing regional priorities. Genome Prairie also enables participation among regional researchers in Genome Canada’s competitive granting process for large-scale projects.
Accounting Assistant (Term)
Genome Prairie is seeking an individual with high-quality accounting and general office experience to fill a full-time, 16-week term position (August-December) as an Accounting Assistant at its Saskatoon office. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer and the Accountant, the successful candidate will have formal accounting training including computerized accounting software and office business programs. This position requires strong organizational and communication skills including attention to detail and the ability to work in a true team atmosphere.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support to project accounting and bookkeeping functions as assigned by the Chief Financial Officer, Accountant, or the President and CEO from time to time.
- Provide back up for corporate accounting functions.
- Provide corporate administrative support as required via the Office Manager.
- Perform basic office tasks, such as filing, data entry, answering phones, processing the mail, etc.
- Handle communications with clients and vendors via phone, email, and in-person.
- Provide support to the Accountant in processing transactions, issuing checks, and updating ledgers, budgets, etc.
- Assist with audits, fact checks, and resolving discrepancies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Attributes:
- Accounting diploma and/or prior experience in an accounting or finance position.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, and Outlook are a must.
- SAGE, QuickBooks, SAP, and other software experience considered an asset.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organization and time management skills to coordinate efforts and meet deadlines.
- Cooperative and collaborative with the ability to work with a multi-disciplinary team.
- Able to work comfortably with numbers and pay exceptional attention to detail.
- Honest, ethical, and respects confidential information.
This position is partly funded through the Canadian Summer Jobs program and requires the following eligibility criteria to be met by the candidate:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment (international students are not eligible); and
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Remuneration will be based on qualifications and experience. Interested candidates are asked to forward an electronic resume and cover letter (one PDF file) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted until 4:00 pm on Friday August 21, 2020. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Note: The safety of our employees and candidates is a top priority at Genome Prairie. Due to the unfolding circumstances of COVID-19 and the Government regulations in place to deal with the pandemic, the working location and/or schedule as advertised may be temporarily subject to change whilst the government regulations are in place. This is to ensure the health and safety of our workforce and to implement effective social distancing measures. These changes if applicable will be discussed at the screening and interview stage.